Sunday 1 March 2009

Major Study

I am going to use this blog to present my development of new ideas leading up to the final presentation of my work for the Summer Show in June 2009.

The blog will take you through all of my:

  • Experimentations

  • Background Reading

  • Equipment Lists

  • Technique Write ups

amongst many other things which will come together to form my Major Study project to later be submitted to Plymouth College of Art as part of my Foundation Degree in Photography.

As for an idea for the project, I have given it a considerable amount of thought since my lecture group were told about this project just before Christmas 2008. During the Christmas break I decided to have a bit of a brainstorm about possible ideas I could persue for the duration of the Major Study project.

To come up with some ideas, I decided to make a list of criteria that the idea had to meet, these are:

  • Relevant to my own personal interests
  • Inclusion of new techniques previously untried
  • Potential of background research into techniques or subject studied
  • Allow me to express my own skills and personality through the photographs I produce
I want all of my ideas to take into account, these specific requirements which I have set myself for the Major Study project.

Ideas

Local Life
This idea would involve me utilising my local knowledge in Devon and travelling to events around the area, where I would shoot photographs of selected activities at each of these events, showing the care and attention which has gone into organising the event, along with some of the attending public who are enjoying the event.

Local Produce
For this idea, I would aim to visit several local food producers and photograph the 'making' of the product from the start to finish and then present these photographs as a series, depending on how shoots went at different locations, I would need to decide whether all of my photos would be sourced from the same location of whether several locations could be linked together.

The Night Sky
For this idea, I will shoot photographs which include the night sky as a working part of the photograph. In the past I have seen photographs where the photographer has used the stars to create 'circles of light' above relatively plain objects, but due to the long exposure of the photograph, the object has been lit in an unusual way, as lighting comes from sources scattered throughout the immediate landscape and from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment